From 1955 to 1959, Our Lady of the Annunciation was a CHAPEL and a MISSION attended to by Queen of Heaven parish. The Fathers of the Blessed Sacrament would come from Queen of Heaven to help guide and administer to the needs of our mission. With a growing community, the need arose to begin a school and Annunciation Catholic School was founded on July 8, 1959. While the construction of the first school building was under way, classes were held in rented rooms at St. Pius X High School. Dedication of the new school took place on March 26, 1961 and by August of that year, there were 560 students enrolled in kindergarten through eighth grade. With the birth of our school, it was possible to secure the services of a distinguished international teaching Order, the Canossian Sisters. In the summer of 1961, four Canossian Sisters arrived from their motherhouse in Italy and became our first school administration staff. The Canossian Sisters gave up administration of the school in 1968, but continued to devote their services in the areas of CCD and adult religious education.
Today, Annunciation Catholic School continues to provide academic excellence in a faith-filled environment to students in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. We continuously seek to enhance our facilities and promote a challenging curriculum to prepare our students with a state of the art education. One of our first substantial endeavors took place in 1992, when we added four portable buildings to accommodate an entirely new computer lab and science lab for the middle school. In 2006, our parent community and parishioners helped fund computer networking, provided teacher computers, and updated our labs with new software and furniture for the elementary school.
In 2009, with our commitment to continuous improvement and the efforts of our Annunciation community, we created a state of the art science lab for the elementary grades with the proceeds from the first annual Fall Benefit. The Fall Benefit came about to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of our school and parish, and has since become an annual event to celebrate community and fellowship while benefiting our school’s academic programs.
The second annual Fall Benefit in 2010, allowed Annunciation to expand the fine arts program by outfitting the music department with an incredible assortment of musical instruments for the benefit of all grade levels. We are looking forward to the 2011 Fall Benefit that will direct its proceeds to the school’s computer and technology labs for the benefit of both the elementary and middle schools.
In 2007 and in 2010, Annunciation Catholic School was honored for its efforts toward continuous improvement with a Road Runner Recognition, presented by Quality New Mexico.